Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Adult Salamanders During Migration


This is a picture of an adult salamander during migration. The photo shows what a spotted salamander looks like. My dad and I went out on an evening hike in Wildcat to see if any salamanders were in any of the vernal pools we picked and we had luck! There were about 20 salamanders that we saw. We mostly saw their tails while they were hiding under leaves at the bottom of the pool.


In this photo, you can get an idea of what the texture is like on an adult salamander. This is the same salamander as the picture above.


These are spermataphores which the males lay.

3 comments:

  1. Allo Emily,

    I'm a friend of your dad; my colleagues and I are really impressed with your ongoing work ! And your dad is rightfully proud of you. I will take great pleasure in following the rest of the story... All your efforts will just amaze your teacher and your classmates ! Bravo

    PS. When I was about your age, I found an exact salamandra in the forest and brought it home for the Summer; unfortunately, it managed to escape one day and I found it flattened in the neighbour's driveway... Sad, but I eventually got over it ! LOL
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allo Emily,

    Any recent photos and texts on your ongoing project ?

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. watch out for mean ray

    ReplyDelete